Sunday, December 6, 2015

Black and White Post Reading


“When the noose gets tight around someone’s neck, they are liable to say anything to save they’re own skin.”

            This is a quote from Black and White. I will explain how this can portray to real life and how it portrays to the book. Well this quote means that in the most desperate situations, you are suitable to lie as long as it is helpful. Think of some people in WW2. Jews begged people to let them in their apartments. A lot of people had let the Jews in, even though it was against the law. When the Nazis came into the apartments and asked the people if they have seen any Jews and they said no to help the Jews because they knew they would be killed, or just threw them under the bus and said yes they are over there because they didn’t want them to search the house and find them then arrest the family holding the Jews in secrets. So lying is okay as long as it actually helps someone and doesn’t hurt anyone is what I have taken from this quote. But do not use lying just for any natural means, like if you don’t want your parents to know that you did something bad. So I will always tell the truth unless something really bad will come out of it.
            There are some ways this relates to the book as well. Like near the beginning when (SPOILERS) Marcus had gone to a police interrogation, he lied to the police to make sure that Eddie would not get caught. Now, I do not advice lying to the police at all. I do not care whether it is to save yourself or your best friend. Whether you have done something bad or not, please never lie to the police and do everything they say if you end up in a situation with them. Police are here so you and everyone around you are safe. Marcus was just using the thought that you can lie in certain times of distress in the wrong way. I honestly would not have lied to the police even if Eddie hated me for life. There are five people and only five who I would do anything for. Three of those are my family and the other two are people who I would not want anything to happen to. But that is just an expression that says you love them way too much. I wish that I felt that I would do anything for them, but I cannot. Those people would have to deal with the fact that I would not lie even to the police for they’re complete help. I truly wish I would but I can’t.
            So I hope this inspired any of my fellow classmates that have not read the book (since you are the only people that have not read the book that will read this) to read the book.

1 comment:

  1. Good explanation of the quote in relation to personal life, but I think you could have done a better job connecting it to the novel. What about Eddie? Did he let the noose scare him? What was he afraid to lose if he fessed up? Why would Marcus be willing to take the fall for his "friend?" Grade: 73%

    ReplyDelete